Friday, April 23, 2010

I read that the hispanic name "Perez" is a form of the Jewish name "Peretz" and that Jewish Spaniards made....

the name change during a period of anti-semitic oppression...does anyone have any information on this?





My last name is actually "Parets" and my great-grandparents are all from Eastern Europe and Jewish, so we thought it used to be Paretsky before they immigrated but now I don't know if it is actually Hebrew or what...apparently it all came from a Biblical figure named Pharez, there is also a town in Spain called Parets.





Help!

I read that the hispanic name "Perez" is a form of the Jewish name "Peretz" and that Jewish Spaniards made....
Anything is possible. I can't help you, but have you tried contacting a synagogue in Spain and asking them? I'm sure the Spanish Consulate could help you out. I'm Mexican and my last name is Arabic. I'm guessing it comes from the Moors that lived in Spain several centuries ago. Like I said, anything is possible.
Reply:Interesting article from Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment